Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Gifts Galore!

Though a custom in Japan to give gifts to people for leaving (and almost any other reason you can think of), I didn't really expect that much from my students or teachers. I already posted about my Friday party and gifts I guess, but here's a picture of just a few of the things I've received! I got a matching rice bowl, tea cup and chopsticks with cherry blossoms on it. The bamboo art thing is a local specialty art from Shibakawa, a smaller city/area in Fujinomiya. It's hard to tell but there is a dragonfly carved out of bamboo that balances on a small branch. I saw them at a festival and thought they were cool, so it was a great gift!

The bright pink thing in front is the jimbei, a sort of pajama type house wear maybe equivalent to a robe. I was really excited about that!! And on the right are some handkerchiefs with cherry blossoms on them. Very cute!! I might have to get another suitcase just for gifts if they keep pouring in!!

No comments: