Tuesday, December 15, 2009

'Tis the Season

Christmas is approaching fast, it feels like only a month ago I was home to visit for summer vacation! I would definitely love to be home this Christmas season, but I'll settle for an extended stay in July and August ;) Save the date!

Things have felt quite festive recently, despite the fact that they don't really celebrate Christmas in Japan. Some people have Christmas parties, most eat Christmas cake (what is that, really?), and others go on dates. But for the most part, it's a completely different holiday, and really the children are just looking forward to New Year's when they get a huge envelope of cash to spend on whatever they like.

I, on the other hand, have tried to really get into the season this year, as last year I was sick in Thailand and just wishing that I could be at home with my mommy to bring me chicken soup. So I put up my Christmas tree a few weeks ago.


Also, a few weeks ago I was having a movie day on a Sunday and quite conveniently a package arrived at my door. A special shout out to Dawna (the sender) and the Japan Post office for their Sunday deliveries. It was the perfect gift, my favorite Christmas movie, Love Actually. It's playing on the TV here actually :) I've rewatched it like 5 times in the last week, and it's really put me in the Christmas spirit!

The Thanksmas Spread

Also this weekend I had a Thanksmas party at my house. We were all busy at Thanksgiving it seemed, and so we decided to have a combined Christmas and Thanksgiving party, which really ended up being mostly about Christmas. It was a fabulous day if I do say so myself! My friend Kelly who claims to not be a cook made her fabulous homemade rolls, sweet potatoes with and without raisins and all with marshmallows, and a Jeff Davis pudding pie.

Showing my domestic side

With the help of my esteemed (?) guests, I made mashed potatoes and gravy, homemade stuffing, herb crusted chicken, and green bean casserole. Colin tossed us the perfect Caesar salad, and Liz made a bannoffee pie, which had no bananas, so it was more an offee pie, which was just as delicious! With everyone's help, the meal was the best I've had all year! Absolutely American, (sorry to you non-American guests, but I heard no complaints), and absolutely fabulous.

Most of my guests in post meal bliss...


We watched lots of Christmas movies and television shows, had snacks and drinks, and enjoyed each other's company into the wee hours of the morning! Thanks to everyone who helped cook, let me boss you around in the kitchen, washed my dishes, opened my wine, brought movies and entertainment, and didn't spill beer on my floor! I was worried about having 14 people in my apartment at once, but it was just the right size for fun, friends, and food. I hope you have a fabulous holiday season!

No comments: