Monday, August 10, 2009

Whirlwind Weekend

Wow, what a whirlwind of a weekend! We had a welcome party for the new teachers that arrived, just the same as last years. I was much better prepared for the party this year, and it seems crazy that it was a whole year ago since I was in the same place as this year's new crowd. It's been really interesting to meet all the new teachers. They are a good bunch of people. It has been really interesting to watch and observe though, and it's weird to think that I probably acted just like them too. It's eye opening to see just how far I have come and how comfortable I am with everything and how un-new it all is to me now. I still encounter new things every day and feel uncomfortable about at least one thing every day...and yet, looking at these shell-shocked newbies, I can see just how many strides I have made toward settling into life here. I hope that it also reminds me to seize every day and to notice and enjoy the little things I have started to take for granted.

(Veteran ladies at the welcome party: Kari, Kelly, Chrissy, Me)

Another highlight of the weekend was checking out a few bars in Fuji City. When we go out as a big "foreigner" group, we tend to all go to Numazu (ie 45 minutes away) or always go to the same Australian bar in Fuji, so we set out to explore a few others. We went to one bar called "Oldeis" (yes, spelled incorrectly). It was decorated sorta oldies/old American style with lots of cool signs and such, including the quite puzzling one below. I got to play some darts with my friend Kelly while the guys played pool. They played a lot of Elvis, and I thought of my auntie Carol the whole time :) We also found another pretty cool bar with a huge selection of liquors, so we just may have to go back for cocktails someday. It was nice spending so much time with friends. In the second half of last year I sorta scaled back on the social scene, but it was nice to get back to it. Hopefully the weekend spree will continue!

(questionable sign in Japanese bar...)

I'm headed out of town Wednesday-Friday to orientate the newbies, here's to hoping I don't bore them too much! Miss everyone at home lots since getting back; drop me a line and let me know what's going on at home!


No comments: