Monday, February 16, 2009

Sapporo Yuki Matsuri Snow Festival

The first weekend in February I went to a famous snow festival in Sapporo, on the north island of Hokkaido. This was a three day trip that required a flight from Tokyo, but was well worth it in the end!



Hokkaido famous (because every place in Japan has a signature food or two) Butter Corn Ramen. That's a hunk of butter on top, not cheese. Can you say healthy?! It kept me warm and filled me up fast though!



Here are a few of the sculptures. Kosuke Kitajima, a 2008 Olympic gold medalist swimmer - Japan really wants to host the 2016 Olympics!! Some cartoon character, because apparently they show up everywhere in Japan. And Tokyo Disneyland sponsored sculpture. Don't miss tinkerbelle next to the castle ;)

Last but not least were a trip to the Chocolate Factory and the Sapporo Beer Garden at the Sapporo Beer Factory. All you can eat lamb and all you can drink beer. Too bad it wasn't all you can eat chocolate.


Overall, it was nice to be back in some real winter weather. It was a bit cold where I lived without central heat, but it's already turning to spring. Being in the snow for a few days reminded me of home, but I was glad I only had to be in it for a few days. Any longer and I woulda been complaining again!

No comments: